Monday, September 1

SEXISM SELLS ... WHO'S BUYING?



Near the end of this film, the question is posed: If women constitute more than 50% of the electorate, why aren't there more women in public office?

It's a good question. Women can be sexist too. I've observed it in the workplace, where a female executive enjoys her privileged place so much that rather than mentoring or encouraging other women, she denies them access to the inner circle. I've experienced it with a female obstetrician who told me outright that since she had to endure female pain, she had no sympathy with mine. I've seen it, time after time, on the airwaves, when female reporters seemed so anxious for solidarity with their male counterparts or superiors, that they expressed some of the same sexist remarks or laughed nervously rather than calling them out for it.

When racism was a more accepted, pervasive phenomenon in our culture, we were told that to accede to or stand silently by, when racist remarks were made in our presence, made us complicit in that racist expression. That principle is no less true regarding sexism.

I remember when, some dozen years ago, my well-meaning and otherwise sensitive CEO (of a $10 billion Fortune 500 company) appointed four men to be facilitators for his pet project, and four women to be their co-facilitators (which basically meant we were to take notes on the flipcharts). The co-facilitators were Director of Sales, the VP-Corporate Communications, one of our corporate attorneys, and myself, Director of Communications, i.e., all executives, not administrative assistants. When we met for our first planning meeting, the CEO asked if any of us had any opening thoughts. I looked around the group and asked, "Has anyone else noticed that the facilitators are all male, and the co-facilitators all female?" The Director of Sales exclaimed, "I was wondering if anyone would point that out!" The CEO was astonished and then said, "I didn't even realize it." I believed it. Though the husband of a strong woman and the father of a CBS news producer, the habit of sexism was ingrained in even this fine man.

My point is, if we don't speak out against sexism when it rears its head, the HABIT will not be changed. The first step in eradicating any prejudice is to point it out, repeatedly, until consciousness is raised, and the habit is no longer culturally acceptable.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely correct and you stated it so eloquently!

If society, both men and women, don't address sexism as they have done with racism, it will never be erradicated.

I fear that many men feel that if they acknowledge that sexism exists, then they will have to deal with it by changing their behavior.

The key is to help them see that women are not the enemy, and by acknowledging that women are, indeed, their equals will not make them lesser men, any more than acknowledging men as our equals will make us lesser women!

I like and respect Governor Palin. I may not agree with many of her positions, but I do love her genuine qualities and her willingness to stand up to the good 'ol boy's club.

When she said that public servants should serve with a "servant's heart", I was greatly impressed.

It only seems fitting that a maverick choose a maverick to join him in this race to change America for the better.

In fact, I see them enacting real change, where I see obama/biden as more of the same.

Keep up the wonderful work you are doing. Your commentary on Palin was right on too.

Based on the total failure of the DNC, obama and his camp, his supporters and the MSM, in coming to terms with their horrific behavior towards Hillary and now towards Palin, I won't be voting for THIS man, obama, in November.

Kathleen W.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Motherlode said...

Amen.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous bobbie martin said...

I'm so excited to share my testimonies about the Good Work of  Dr. Anuge who got me cured from herpes simplex virus (HSV1&2) with his herbs, I never thought that I would live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from herpes, I had spent a lot of money going from one Hospital to another looking for a way to get rid of this disease, the hospital has been my home everyday residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this fateful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how @Dr_anuge7 helped someone in curing his herpes disease using his healing Herbs, quickly I copied his email just to give him a test I spoke to him, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, after I received his herbs and I took it as instructed. I was cured permanently from herpes. My herpes disease was gone. so I decided to share my testimony, that nothing is impossible with God, God used a man to heal me. No matter what you are passing through, no matter how deadly the sickness is and no matter what the situation is God that did mine is still going to do yours, people suffering from herpes, brain tumor, kidney disease, pcos, AIDS, ALS,copd, asthma, arthritis,herpes, Cancer,Hpv, any kind of disease, you can reach him now via ? Gmail address: dranuge@gmail.com or whatsapp  +2348164866838

8:46 AM  
Anonymous bobbie martin said...

I'm so excited to share my testimonies about the Good Work of  Dr.Anuge who got me cured from herpes simplex virus (HSV1&2) with his herbs, I never thought that I would live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from herpes, I had spent a lot of money going from one Hospital to another looking for a way to get rid of this disease, the hospital has been my home everyday residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this fateful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how @Dr_anuge7 helped someone in curing his herpes disease using his healing Herbs, quickly I copied his email just to give him a test I spoke to him, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, after I received his herbs and I took it as instructed. I was cured permanently from herpes. My herpes disease was gone. so I decided to share my testimony, that nothing is impossible with God, God used a man to heal me. No matter what you are passing through, no matter how deadly the sickness is and no matter what the situation is God that did mine is still going to do yours, people suffering from herpes, brain tumor, kidney disease, pcos, AIDS, ALS,copd, asthma, arthritis,herpes, Cancer,Hpv, any kind of disease, you can reach him now via Gmail address: dranuge@gmail.com or whatsapp  +2348164866838

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home